Parks Dept. Announces Summer Programs
Join us for Fun in the Sun! The Monticello City Parks Department announces the following summer programs. Please register for each class. To register call Cindy Isom at 574-583-4525 or the Parks Department at 574-583-3983 or leave a message. Each class will cost for supplies. Classes except art with be in the Shady Rest Pavilion if it is nice and Central Pavilion if it rains. If you have general questions, please call Cindy Isom at 574-583-4525.
Space Travel is our future! First the moon, then Mars, then who knows? For students entering Grade 3 to Grade 6. We will meet Wednesdays in June at noon in the Shady Rest Pavilion in the City Park. The cost is $3.00
- June 5 - Blast Off With Rockets - Science and history of rockets and a rocket launch!
- June 12 - Space Camp - Astronaut training, clothing, and foods.
- June 19 - Moons of Jupiter and Saturn - So many moons and each one is different. Let's look at most of them.
- June 4 - Clouds and Weather - Make weather meters and take around the park to check weather conditions.
- June 11 - Night Sky Constellations - Learn what you will see in the night sky and practice by making maps.
- June 18 - Flying Creatures - Search of birds, bugs, and bats
- June 25 - Windy! Make sky decorations and flying objects.
- July 9 - 10pm - We will see what planets and constellations are in the night sky.
- July 8 - Clay Pot Wind Chimes
- July 15 Tree Round Wreath
- July 22 Wood Burning Project
- June 5th - Quilting Tulips
- June 11th - Mixed Media Butterfly
- July 10th & 25th - Pastel Landscape
This summer, on Tuesdays fro 4pm to 7 pm, the parks, library and others will partner with the Farmers Market to bring Power of Produce (POP) to our youth. This program runs from May 28th to August 6th. The goal is to allow children to participate in eating healthy locally grown foods and engage in physical activities. Sign up at the POP table at the Farmers Market.
Special Programs: All Ages Welcome. Free of charge
- Free Fishing at Bluewater Beach Park is on June 1 from 8am-10am. Learn about casting, bait, lures, and more from local anglers.
- Hoots to Howls is on June7th at Altherr Nature Park Amphitheater at 7pm. Kim Hoover from Hoots to Howls Wildlife Rehabilitation will bring birds to show.
- Star Lab at the Library will be on June 14th. Cindy Isom and Joy Bailey will lead sessions in a blow up planetarium. Call the Monticello Public Library for reservations.
- Skateboarding Competition is June 15th in Jordan Park. Registration is at noon and the competition is at 1pm.
- Celebration in the Park Is Saturday July 6th in City Park from 1:00pm to 4:00pm. Celebration is an old fashioned carnival with free food, games, sky divers and more! Great fun for all!