Monticello Fire Department B-Shift led by Captain Shane Swaim & Lt. Chad Walther volunteered at the Habitat for Humanity site Thursday. The team included Tyler Miller, Yaritza Shanchez, Captain Shane Swaim, Lt. Chad Walther, Aaron Miller, Ryan Hahn, and Trey Cobb.
Don't forget to winterize your rain barrel before freezing temperatures arrive.
- Disconnect the diverter from your downspouts.
- Drain the water out of your barrel.
- After it drains just leave the spigot open.
- Plug the diverter connected to your downspouts.
Saturday, October 29thTrunk or Treat Poster - General Information
Trunk or Treat Participating Car Registration Form and Guidelines
- Downtown Trunk or Treat is a co-sponsored event by S.O.M.A. (Streets of Monticello Association), I.U. Health and the City of Monticello. The Trunk or Treat Event will be held on:
- Saturday, October 29th from 3:00pm-5:00pm
- Entrance is located within the parking lot behind the Post Office and along Illinois St. between Broadway & Harrison St.
- Registration of participating cars now through Wednesday, October 26th
- Register early only 90 cars will be accepted this year
- Treats must be pre-wrapped and sealed (no homemade goodies this year)
- Registration Form and Guidelines
- Trick or Treat Hours from 6:00pm-8:00pm
- Only homes with porch lights on
- Parental guidance encouraged.
On October 4, 2022 at 12:00pm (noon), Monticello Mayor Cathy Gross will read a proclamation designating October as Domestic Violence Awareness Month. Meet representatives from YWCA Greater Lafayette Domestic Violence Intervention and Prevention Program. Learn about their services and find out how you can help victims of domestic violence.
The proclamation will be read at the United Way Building. The United Way Building is now located at 402 Tioga Road, Monticello, IN 47960.
Monticello Arts Beat is seeking original designs to create our 2022 White County collectible ornament! Designs must be aimed toward: "What does White County mean to you?" Submissions are to be a simple black and white design and must be submitted by 5pm EST on Friday, August 26th! Submissions can be uploaded through the link below! https://forms.gle/LBL8fDpHZMsiRoCSA
Join Habitat for Humanity of Lafayette to learn how you can be a part of Building a Home in Monticello!
When: Tuesday, August 23, 2022
Where: City Hall, West Bays at 120 W. Washington St., Monticello, IN 47960
Snacks and Dessert Provided!
The City of Monticello is honoring our City Pool employees. 2022 has been a record year for swim lessons and pool attendance. Monticello Mayor Cathy Gross presented Certificates of Appreciation to the City Pool employees for their service to the City. Scott Kubly, Pool Manager, received recognition for 43 years of service to the City Pool and Parks Department.
White County Indiana - Effective July 14, 2022. The White County Commissioners have declared a burn ban effective from July 14, 2022 12:01 am until July 21, 2022 12:01 am. This will be reevaluated on July 20th to determine if it needs extended.
In summary, the following activities are banned:
- Unpermitted controlled burns
- Burning of yard and household trash
- Burning of construction debris
- Burning of organic debris
- Discarding extinguished smoking materials of any kind on the ground or not within an enclosed fireproof receptacle.
- Non-commercial burning of material which is not contained in a barbecue grill, with a lid which is only opened periodically and constantly attended.
- The burning of any other open-air fires
- Fireworks of any kind, except fireworks displays by an entity having a permit issued by the Office of Indiana State Fire Marshall or displays sponsored by a White County municipality and supervised by a local fire department.
Note: Applications Due on August 19th by 4pm
The Monticello Fire Department is growing and expanding services to the Monon Community. Six positions will be available.
- Probationary Pay - $48,195.00
- 1 Year Pension Base Pay - $53,658.00
- Lateral Transfer Bonus - $3,500.00
- Be at least 18 years of age and have not reached 36th birthday
- Hold a current Indiana Emergency Medical Technician Certificate
- Hold a valid driver's license
- Be willing to attain paramedic certification at employer's expense
Applications are due August 19th by 4pm. See this webpage for application and other information.
Free Rain Barrels for City Water & Wastewater Utility Customers!
In cooperation with Ball Corporation, the City Wastewater Utility Department wants to help relieve some of the utility costs associated with watering your lawn and gardens by providing customers with a Free Rain Barrel!
- Full Name
- Phone Number
- Email address
- Home address
- Customer ID number (found on your water bill)
We can only provide the free rain barrel at this time. You can purchase drain spout diverter kits for your rain barrel (see diagram) locally. Information about rain barrels and instructions for installing diverter kit & hose spigots can be found on YouTube.
Instructions for Painting your Rain Barrel
Use outdoor acrylics to paint your rain barrel. You will need to prime and top coat your plastic barrel.
- Clean the exterior surface with a 1:1 mixture of vinegar and water.
- Use a fine grade sandpaper to "rough up" the surface of the barrel. (This helps the paint adhere to the plastic barrel.)
- Vacuum the barrel's surface, then rinse barrel with clean water (static may try to hold the fine dust) and dry with a lint free cloth (or leave it in the sun to bake)
- Apply at least one coat of outdoor primer. Primer must be allowed to dry per manufacturer's instructions.
- Paint barrel and allow the paint to dry completely.
- Apply two coats of polyurethane. Allow the polyurethane to dry between coats.
Please Note: The rain barrels previously contained a non-toxic, biodegradable soap and have been triple rinsed to be prepared for non-potable use as rain barrels.
Rain Barrel System
In the photo above, Monticello Resident Mike Godlove, uses multiple barrels in a series. Using gravity draining, the lower hose moves the water to a pump that he uses to force water through his garden hose.
Team Up for the ADA Golf Outing - Registration & Sponsor A Hole Form
Join Us For "Team Up for the ADA" Golf Outing on Saturday, August 20, 2022. Family Fun for all ages and abilities!
Par 3 Golf • Miniature Golf • Cornhole • Lunch • Music • Contests • Awards & Prizes
What is Happening?
“Team Up” for the 9th Annual 'Team Up for the ADA' presented by the Monticello Mayor’s Advisory Council for the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
Saturday, August 20, 2022 at Hollow Acres Golf Course, at 10:00am (Registration is at 9AM).
- Each team must include a person with a disability
- There will be Par 3 Golf, and Putt-Putt.
- Par 3 Golf is $12.50 per person or $50.00 per team.
- Putt-Putt Golf is $5.00 per person or $20.00 per team
Hole sponsorships are available at 3 levels:
- Small sign $25.00
- Medium sign $50.00
- Large sign $100.00 (sponsorship includes a team entry fee)
City of Monticello, ADA
227 N Main St.
Monticello, IN 47960
You may also contact any Advisory Council Member to Participate in this "Team Up for the ADA" Golf Outing.What is the Advisory Council?
The Monticello Mayor's Advisory Council for the ADA serves to provide advice, guidance, and support to the City of Monticello as it progresses toward ADA compliance. Our activities include: Disability Awareness Month Events throughout the month of March each year (Art Contests, Street and Gazebo Banners, Recognition Awards, Wheelchair Basketball Games and Mile in My Shoes Day).
Mayor Cathy Gross
Pat Wokoun, President
Mark Newman, Vice President
Jim Kramer, Secretary
Diane Bunnell, ADA Coordinator
Jim Mann, City Clerk-Treasurer
Mitch Billue, Parks Superintendent
Frank Arthur, Street Superintendent
Tony Stroup, Assistant Chief of Police
Local artists, Leah Padlo & Brandi Page, are inviting local photographers to join them for "Through my Lens" Photographer's Exhibit in the West Bays from July 28th through August 2nd.
- Must be a local artist
- Photographs must be show ready - Printed on canvas, framed, etc.
- Photographs for hanging must be a minimum of 11x14 inches, 16x20 inches is preferred (before framing)
- Photographers are welcome to have a table with prints of preferred size for sale or show
- Photographers will be required to set up their work on Wednesday July 27th
- Thursday July 28th - Friends & Family Invite Only - 5pm-8pm
- Friday July 29th - Open - 5pm-8pm
- Saturday July 30th - Open - 9am-1pm
- Tuesday August 2nd - Farmers Market - 5pm-7pm
First Annual Quilt Show was held June 3 - June 12 in the West Bays at CIty Hall. We had a little over 300 people walk through and enjoy over 130 Quilts on display. Free will donations were accepted for the "People's Choice Award" prizes.
1st was $150.00 Won by Joyce Lawyer,
2nd Place was Betty Bylend $90.00
3rd was Kathy Weida $90.00.
Everyone is looking forward to having the event again next year.
Schedule of Events
- 8:15 AM – Boarding Begins for Veterans at the Madam Carroll Dock
- 9:20 AM – Opening Ceremony
- 9:30 AM – Departure of the Madam Carroll from Dock
- 10:30 AM – Boat Parade Line Up at Oakdale Dam
- 11:00 AM – Boat Parade Begins, Following the Madam Carroll
- 12:20 PM – Madam Carroll Returns to Dock
- 12:30 PM – 1:00 PM – Boat Decoration Judging being on the Deck of the Sportsman Inn.
All residents are welcome to attend. The purpose of the the town hall format is to give all citizens an opportunity to voice their concerns or ask questions of our city leaders and departments.
- Road construction on North Main between Foster Street and Fisher Street
- Road construction on North Illinois from the Point to Hanawalt Rd.
- There will be no parking on either of those streets while they are working in the area.
Download the application below or pick up at the Utilities Office located at 225 N. Main St., Monticello, IN 47960. Office hours are from 8am to 4pm. Please return the application or mail to the Utilities Office.
Review/download the application